Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Random Conversation....

Today, I had a very unique situation happen at work today (and because I don't know the lady's name, I can't break any privacy laws!)

So I'm standing there, working with a patient, when this lady I'd never seen before came storming into the clinic. She walked towards the secretaries, and I lost sight of her. All I heard her say was "Does anyone know where the DMV is?" (actually, she didn't say that...she YELLED it!)

So, I calmly said "I know where the DMV is..." and when she came around the corner, started giving her directions. Next thing I knew, I was getting yelled at by this lady because she "didn't know where to go" and was told it was located off "_______ Ave." (I literally was afraid she was going to slap me across the face, because I wasn't "getting" what she was saying!)

I told her that yes, there is a side entrance off of that road, but it is much more accessible from "_____ St." I was able to calm her down enough to give her the "most basic directions EVER" and she stormed out the door, headed for the DMV.

I looked at the patient I was still treating, looked at a coworker who walked out during the middle of this incident, and both of them asked me simultaneously "WHAT WAS THAT?!?" I honestly had no answer, and was just glad she was no longer yelling at me.

I then had another co-worker come out, and she goes "So, the lady in room 1 just heard what happened....and made a comment that the 'DMV closes at 5, but if you aren't in line at 4:30 with all the correct paperwork, they make you come back tomorrow'" (Gulp...) I looked at my watch and said "It's 4:32! (Double Gulp!)

Thankfully, this lady did not return to yell at me!

So here is what is confusing for me: Why do people freak out when they ask for help and someone is willing to help them?!? If it were me, I would NEVER storm into any building and DEMAND directions to some place. I would calmly ask someone for the directions and LISTEN to what they had to say, then asking for further clarification if needed. It still has me flabbergasted that some grown-adult would act this way.

Any thoughts, dear blog friends, why people act this way?!?

Cuz lets be brutally honest...does anyone really WANT to go to the DMV?? I HATE having to go there....

2 comments:

Jessica said...

BAWAHAHAHA you HAVE to share this with PD!!!! This is toooo perfect along with last Sunday's Message!!!!!
Sorry to laugh so hard La but that is all I can think about right now!!!

Sorry you got yelled at though...that's beyond crappy.

Melissa said...

I do not understand people like that at ALL. I understand people getting upset about being lost or confused, but you don't scream at the wrong people. I can't believe she stormed in there while you were seeing a patient!? Crazy!