Saturday, July 30, 2011

Remembering Adam

It is amazing to think how life changes in 5 years. 5 years ago, I had just graduated high school, and was gearing up to head off to college. 3 years ago, I had completed my physical therapy assistant program up at Mercyhurst, and was now a college grad. 2 years and 10 months ago, I took my PTA boards (to become board certified) and passed! From there on, full-time PTA has ruled my life!

But, 5 years ago today, July 30th, 2006 turned into one of the worst days of my life. It started as a typical Sunday: church, little time off in afternoon, the off to the grocery store where I worked for an evening shift. Everything was normal, I picked up a video to watch that evening on the way home, and expected a calm, relaxing night.

My world turned upside down when I was walking up the driveway though. My mom and dad met me outside to tell me that one of my best friends, from the Christian elementary/middle school that I had gone to, had gone missing at a local state park. Instantly my heart sunk. "They need search crews," I said. "They have people already looking, Laura." my dad replied. He went on to tell me more news that would rock my world and faith immensely. Adam had fallen into the gorge and because of the high water levels, got caught in a whirl-pool. We didn't know if he was injured down-stream, unable to contact any rescuers, or if he had passed away. Ultimately, Adam did not make it.

So now, 5 years later, my friend is still gone. The friend that I met on the first day of kindergarten had passed away. Adam, the kid who tutored me in my state capitols, beat me in math competitions, and kicked my bum at ANY physical race/activity was no longer here on this world.

I struggled with the "why" guestions. "Why, Lord, must someone living their life for you be taken away so early??" "Why him?" Needless to say, I went through a very broken, empty, faithless time in my life where God was not a source of comfort. (Thankfully time heals, and my faith is stronger then ever.)

There still are days when I get really sad and miss what used to be. I miss not running into him while at the YMCA, or the grocery store.

But at the end of the day, Adam is safe with Jesus! Somehow, the friend who could run and never grow weary, beat me in the race to Heaven. He gets to rejoice in the majesty of the Lord. No worship service here on earth can ever compare to what Adam is experiencing up there.

I wrote a paper about Adam while in college, and this greatly helped in the healing of my broken heart and faith. Here is the closing sentence to my paper: "As much as I miss him every day of my life, I know that he would not want me to live my life in the yesterdays of the past, but to keep on doing what God has called me to do, and to do it to the best of my ability."

So, Adam Clair Elliott, may I continue to live up to the goal I set in that paper. May I continue to life my life for God, bringing blessing to Him. You were such an amazing influence in my life, may I turn around and be that way towards others.

I love and miss you...

2 comments:

Claire said...

I obviously didn't know Adam as well as you did, but I always liked him. He was a really sweet guy and always so nice and genuine. This was a beautiful tribute to him Laura! Brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful way to think of it--that he truly does run without growing weary now! And you'll see him again in Heaven. Praise God for the hope we have in HIM!

Melissa said...

What a sweet post. So sorry about your friend. I just came to your blog when i saw i had a new follower & got curious. :) Love it.

I think losing a loved one is the hardest thing imaginable to go through. I've lost a few in my life & I've never experienced anything worse than grief. That was a beautiful tribute to your friend. {HUGS}